Tips for Getting the Most out of the 2013 International Conference
As we start counting down the hours to the 2013 KOTESOL International Conference, we thought you might appreciate a few tips from inside ConComm. We hope these help you enjoy your conference experience!
First, everyone should note that the conference venue is not the same as last year. We're across the street, in the old campus. As you're heading up the hill from the subway, turn right at the main gate, instead of left. If you find yourself on a huge flight of stairs, you're in the wrong place.
Registration hours: Saturday, 8am - 6pm, Sunday, 8am - 12:30.
If you're registering on-site:
- Allow yourself plenty of time to register before your first presentation. There will definitely be a line on Saturday morning! Take a breath and read a book, listen to some music, talk to a new friend, enjoy your morning coffee. Smile at a volunteer; you just might make that person's day.
- Bring cash. We don't take credit cards--no exceptions. There are no working ATMs at the conference venue, so stop at a bank or a mart before you head up the hill!
- Bring a business card to attach to the onsite registration form. Now you just have to mark your KOTESOL chapter and what you're paying for, and you're done! Time for that book you brought with you….
- If you're a member, we'll have to confirm your membership in order for you to get the discounted member's price. If you joined really recently, bring a receipt, just in case.
If you registered online:
- Follow the signs to the pre-registration area. Find the letter that corresponds to your last name. Get your pass, get your conference bag, and go!
- No refunds… But why would you want one?
Inside the conference:
The presentation rooms are spread across two buildings that are connected on the third and fourth floors, but not the second floor. If you're on the second floor, you have to go outside or up in order to find the rest of the second-floor rooms.
The plenaries are across the street, on the new campus, in the museum.
Other important rooms:
- Coat Check, 313
- Help Desk, 1st floor lobby
Up-to-date room changes, cancellations, and other information can be found online from http://www.koreatesol.org/IC2013
If you find yourself needing a break, visit the KOTESOL Cafe! There you can find a variety of refreshments at a reasonable price. While you're there, why not treat yourself to some KOTESOL merchandise? (Cash only!)
- Ceramic mugs: 3,000 won
- Lapel pins: 3,000 won
- Travel mugs: 6,000 won
- Pens: Free with purchase
On Sunday afternoon, the conference doesn't end with the last presentation! Check out the Annual Business Meeting or our social/networking event, both starting at 4 p.m.
Finally, if you're a member, and you didn't vote online, be sure to vote at the conference!