Job Title: Full-time Assistant Professor (non-tenure track, 2 positions)
Start of Employment: March 1st, 2016
Contract Period: 1 academic year (2 year upon request), renewable upon mutual agreement
- Teach 14 hours per week for two 16 weeks semester (English Conversation Credit Courses with opportunities to teach electives)
- Hold 3 office hours per week
- Attend weekly meetings
- Support departmental development (e.g., committee assignments)
- Participate in curriculum and materials development
- Master's degree in any of the following subjects: TESOL, Applied Linguistics, CALL, and related fields. (An assessment of the candidate's English language proficiency may be required as part of the hiring process.)
- 4 years of documented experience in the field required (Years spent completing study/research/teaching during a graduate degree program will be counted towards those 4 years, e.g., 2 year MA program plus 2 additional years teaching experience, or 1 year MA program plus 3 additional years teaching experience)
* Candidates must have qualified degree in hand at the time of application deadline.
* The applications of those who do not meet these qualifications will not be reviewed.
Hiring Priorities: We are particularly interested in hiring teachers with specialized qualifications and/or experience in CALL, ICC (Intercultural Communication), curriculum development, materials development, and language testing/assessment. Experience with MOODLE is also preferred.
Department: The Institute for Language Education and Research (ILER) provides a variety of language programs to serve the University's English, Korean, Chinese and Japanese learning needs. The ILER has built a qualified, knowledgeable, and supportive faculty where collaboration is valued to design curriculum relevant for our particular students' needs. Programs are largely based on a teacher-created, standardized curriculum. There are currently 20 full-time faculty positions. We have a dedicated language center building which houses all needed facilities: professors' offices, administration offices, conference hall, conversation classrooms with round tables, etc. The ILER is a developing PLC (Professional Learning Community), focused on modernizing curriculum, expanding opportunities for research and publication, and fostering a spirit of intercultural exchange.
Salary and Benefits:
- 3 million Korean Won (KRW) per month (36,000,000 KRW per year)
- 600,000 KRW annual salary increase upon contract renewal
- Overtime rates range from 30,000~45,000 KRW/hour depending on the program
- 10 million KRW Key Money (loan towards deposit for off-campus housing)
- One-month salary as severance bonus for each successful contract year
- Subsidized public pension premiums
- Subsidized national health insurance
- Supplemental health insurance for disability and hospitalization
- 1 million KRW relocation stipend for candidates residing outside of Korea
- Large office shared with one other professor
- Opportunities to audit university Korean language classes and a 200,000 KRW reimbursement for classes taken outside of university
(We kindly ask you to NOT zip your application materials.)
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Applicant Information Document
- Copies of transcripts
- One letter of recommendation including contact numbers
- Copies of diplomas and teaching certificates (e.g. TESOL/TEFL/TESL/CELTA certificate)
- Certificate of employment or employer’s letter that verifies employment period
How to Apply: Send your email application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your
full name in the subject line.
Application Deadline: November 6th, 2015
* Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interview Date (Tentative): November 24th, 2015 (Video interviews through Skype or Google Hangout will be scheduled for overseas applicants.)
University Homepage: http://www.seoultech.ac.kr
Department Homepage: http://language.seoultech.ac.kr
Department MOODLE Homepage: http://moodle.seoultech.ac.kr